Everything You Need to Know About Facebook’s New Dating App
Make room, Tinder and Bumble! A major player has entered the dating scene. Mark Zuckerberg initially announced his plans to add a dating feature to the social network last year, and Facebook Dating is now officially live in Canada.
So, what do you need to know?
- Users can set up a dating profile within their existing Facebook account. It will not be visible to friends or show up in News Feed and will only appear for other people using the dating service. It also won’t match you with your current Facebook friends.
- Users can answer questions provided by the app in an effort to match with people of similar interests and values (similar to Hinge and other successful online dating services).
- You do not have to “match” with someone in order to message them. However, you can only send a spontaneous message to someone once. They have to “like” your message in order for the conversation to continue.
- There will be no swiping involved! The Facebook team has expressed their desire to avoid making dating feel like a game.
- Your initial message to someone must comment on something in the user’s profile. This is to filter out generic greetings and foster real connections and lasting relationships.
- It will rely on the data Facebook currently holds on you. Your matches will be determined through an algorithm that sorts your previous Facebook interactions and mutual friends.
Good luck on your Facebook Dating journey!